Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Hot Tip Tuesday: Go to the Source

by Jenn
Everybody has those days. You know...Fat Days. I hate them. Despite last week's loss, I've had a few "fat days" in a row now. I just don't feel on top of my game, I kinda want to give up and (even worse) I just feel gross and ugly in both body and spirit. Unfortunately, my response to a FD is usually not a positive one.

Instead of FDs helping me to refocus and get motivated I usually respond to a FD by falling apart, getting overwhelmed and/or becoming an apathetic mushball. My mind becomes and minefield of condemnation, self-pity and defeat which leads to careless living. I hate it, hate it, hate it. I often find myself a living example of Paul's talk in Romans 7 (do what you don't want to do, don't do what you want to do) until I come to a point like Paul did and cry out "O unhappy and pitiable...I am! Who will release me from this body...?".

Thankfully, Paul writes the answer to his own question, "O thank God! [He Will!] through Jesus Christ our Lord..." If you are a follower of Christ, you have everything you need to keep going, to overcome, to get off the hamster wheel of bad thinking and choices. You have Jesus and His ressurection power (Eph. 1:19-20) living inside of you. We no longer have to yeild to sin and lesser living. We can live under grace (Rom 6:13-14).

Here's this week's hot tip: When you find yourself having one of those days or when you keep doing the opposite of what you'd like to do, GO TO THE SOURCE, JESUS. Grab your Bible, a pen, a journal (or laptop for all of you techy peeps) and begin to pour the truth into your brain and heart rather than walking through the minefield of lies in your own head. (If you don't know where to start try Romans, John or Ephesians.)

I did this exact thing this morning and walked away renewed, ready to tackle another day of food tracking, exercise, housecleaning and Christmas prep. We can do this through Jesus!

Question of the day: What is something you do to keep motivated?

1 comment:

  1. Something that keeps me motivated?... Encouragement from people, reading something that I know God's promised me, or a scripture and singing it over an over...

    If i sing it, it gets into my heart more i think... So i stay motivated that way... :)

    ReplyDelete