Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I'm back...and I'm sweaty

Hello all! It's been far too long since I've written. Life has been a cycle of traveling, unpacking, laundry, repacking and traveling for the last month, but I'm back...oh, and I'm sweaty.

That's right, as I type this very moment I stink and my head is spinning/pounding slightly. You see, I've been keeping a secret from all of you and decided to day was the day to bring it all out in the open. I, Jennifer Rebekah, am going to run a half marathon AND today was the day to start training for it!

I know what your thinking "YOU'RE CRAZY!" You're absolutely right, I am. When I realized my insanity I even tried to get my money back. I discovered, however, that the kings of running know their fickle constituents fairly well and they do not offer refunds. So, here I am, about to embark on a new journey...running. (groaning inwardly)

So, today, I asked my husband for the running schedule he made for me (upon my request, he would NEVER push his love of running on me) and started getting ready. Little did I know that just getting dressed would be an adventure. Trying to squeeze my post prego/nursing/weightgain girls into a pre-prego/nursing/weightgain sports bra was a little traumatizing. Needless to say I spent the entire run wondering if the ladies were going to cave in from being squeezed and suffocated so tightly or going to revolt and split the bra in half in a dramatic explosive-like event.

Once a got the boobage under semi-control I laced up my tennies, grabbed my cell for safety and (oh the horror) slapped on my hubby's 20lb running watch that's the size of a laptop so that I could keep track of my 60/90sec intervals. Not only was my vanity destroyed, but I'm pretty sure my arm will be sore tomorrow just from lugging that thing around.

After all of the prep hoopla I ventured out. Things started out great as I inwardly chanted the rhythmic mantra of "I can through Christ" in order to keep steady pace. It quickly got ugly, however, as I began to gag from the necessity of breathing in cold air through my mouth (my easy gag reflex is a whole other blog topic), my head started spinning and I'm pretty sure one of my feet fell off somewhere between home and our local middle school track. This was the worst of it and it only lasted a few minutes. I recovered, and although uncomfortable, was able to finish my first jaunt with a sense of accomplishment.

Now that I'm done the endorphins must have kicked in because I'm already semi-looking forward to tomorrows run/walk. Who-du-thunk?

Question of the day: I'm going to accomplish a half-marathon (13.1 miles), what are you going to conquer this year?

1 comment: